Monday, May 12, 2008

Surviving May

This is my month of chaos. Six birthdays in a matter of three weeks, including my mom's, son's and mine. Mother's Day. Over the top birthday planning for Bobby's big 5th birthday. One Transformer cake and a wooden play structure that took my husband and very generous brothers close to eight hours to build. Now I wake up refreshed this morning, the day after Mother's Day, total relief.

No more present shopping, no more lost birthday cards, no more urging my sons to sign yet another card, no really, just one more! The May madness is finally left behind. Usually I feel let down, usually my birthday and Mother's Day get kind of pushed together into one not-so-celebratory whole. This year, not really... I even had my own night, a night to toast a new year with my family. This year, I was at peace. This year will be my last in my twenties. This year my grandpa sent me a check urging me to buy red shoes to go with my red purse (thanks grandpa! still woefully behind on thank you cards obviously...)



Finally, I was able to wake up today and take a deep breath, knowing nothing was expected of me other than the everyday mother duties. Meals and scrubbing children and home clean. Today, we can sit out in the yard and enjoy the sunshine, the boys swinging away on their new playground, me chilling out with a new book. Yay!

Or me, urging Bobby and myself to pen some magnificently late thank you cards...

3 comments:

One Lucky Mom said...

Happy Birthday and Mother's Day. Still thinking good thoughts!

Cindy said...

Happy birthday, Kelly! And Happy Mother's Day! Keep enjoying the sunshine :-)

Momma Kate said...

You BETTER buy those red shoes!!!!
love, Kate