Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gleaming Moments

Stories of Strength - An Anthology for Disaster Relief

Motherhood has its moments.

Like when I am forced to cook dinner with Shane attached to one leg while trying to open the oven door with his hand not tugging my pants down around my ankles.

Or when Bobby chooses to throw a screaming fit during my powerwalk, where I am forced to push him at high speed and am at least fifteen minutes away from home.

These are the grisly, everyday moments and people who read about them and are completely terrified to take the plunge into parenthood usually go running for the hills. An example: a well meaning writer who reviewed the new magazine total180! on salon.com a few weeks back. She said the stories of stay at home sainthood made her terrified to start a family.

But there are those gleaming moments buried in the monotony, the crying spells, and the sheer labor of it all. Like the moment when Bobby comes running towards Shane's room first thing in the morning, and says in his chirpiest voice:

"Good morning, Shaney Brainy. Hello, mommy's little binky bear. Wanna play with Bobby, my little binky bear?"

My heart just wants to melt out of its body.

And this moment now, with both boys breathing heavily in their beds, quiet and safe. I realize, for the first time in days, weeks even, I haven't yelled at the boys or pulled out my hair from the craziness of life with two toddlers. Today was actually ok. No major bruises or tears or screaming fits. Just a lot of play and hugs and even a whispered "I love you, mama" as I turned out Bobby's light.

Now that is a gleaming moment.

Motherhood isn't all terror...maybe it is a terrible, all consuming beauty, doused with some hideous moments of uncertainty, confusion, even desperation. But I am always set back on the ground when I'm flying too out of control with emotions, by a simple phrase from Bobby or an adoring, if wordless glance from Shane.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey cuz. I enjoy reading your blog. You paint such an honest, yet encouraging view of motherhood. I am taking notes!
Keep writing =)