Wednesday, January 18, 2006

This Preschool is Closed

Stories of Strength - An Anthology for Disaster Relief

Ahhh, optimism. This time of year it really does get the best of me. So far, my resolutions are wilting along with my go for it attitude. The strict exercise regimen has been exchanged for stealing every last possible second in bed until my husband leaves for work and I actually have a household to run. Ha.

Another case in point: my whole preschool prototype I thought would work miracles on my home life. I figured life would run smoother if I borrowed from my days as a recreation teacher and scheduled my boys' days by the hour. Free play in the morning, dressed by 9am, outdoor play if weather permits, art and cooking projects, blah blah blah. Well, the structure of my preschool seems to be groaning.

I mean, really, what was I thinking exactly? This is NOT a school, but a house, that is run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with sparse holidays when the grandparents take the boys on a whim. Of course (most) preschools have some semblance of order. The teachers only work eight hour days, if that, then get to send the little rugrats back home. So not the case in my household.

I have lowered my standards for this would be school. Instead of scheduling by the hour, I'm aiming for the day. Like, Fridays are library day. This means Bobby throws an exponential temper tantrum as soon as we walk through the sliding doors and I slap the overdue books that he hasn't bothered looking at in days anyway on the returns runway. Then, Shane bolts for the wooden puzzle pieces and bangs them with the force of a teenager onto the mini-tables. Then Bobby gets reprimanded by me, then the librarian, for screaming or running along the aisles. Then, Shane pulls down the enormous globe on the librarians desk. Then, Bobby starts banging the keys on the computer keyboards. Then, the mothers of the mellow children who actually sit on the couches and page through crusty books give me the look, you know, the one of admonishment. Tsk, tsk, and all that. And this is all withing twenty minutes. I won't even go into the meltdown that plays out in the parking lot when it is time to leave...

Hmmm, seems I got distracted there for a minute.

Oh, the daily schedule. Friday-Library, then the boys get to watch a full length movie that they checked out. It seems a fair balance to me, being that I am completely exhausted after the excursion out into the threatening public where my boys are so intent on wreaking havoc. You would think I keep them locked in cages at home, the way they take off running away from me.

Well, in all honesty, I only have one themed day. The rest are just checks on the calendar, one step closer to the weekend where I'll have my right-hand man at home to help me out.

So farewell to optimism, I've fallen back to my reality and it isn't even February yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Hilarious. Boy can I relate to this! Reading a day in your life takes me back to a former life I once had. Especially, the looks from the public (and family for that matter) that think you have GOT to be the most repulsive parent for not having a child that can sit down and play QUIETLY. And for a very long time please. God, what alot of work!

I love your writing Kels.
Love, Linda.

Patti said...

Library Day is Wednesday, here, but pretty much the same thing. Except we have a staff of Understanding Children's Librarians who've all raised 6 children apiece and compliment me on my "patience"!

I also tried "Art Day" once, and they built monsters out of the sponges I had cut up for sponge painting. Best day ever ... no clean up!