Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Better Mama

Stories of Strength - An Anthology for Disaster Relief

Resolution fever has overtaken my brain this past week. I'm always a sucker for self improvement, lists of goals and objectives, and loads of pensive thoughts about where my life is going. Of course I have all the standard ones I have every year... lose some weight and exercize, drink less, write more, and on and on. You'll be scared to know I actually downloaded a free goal setting workbook online (www.higherawareness.com) and I am actually working through the twenty plus pages while the boys battle it out over the train table. I came to a few conclusions that can only mean...I have a higher awareness. (HEE HEE)

1. I need to take better care of myself or the whole family ship could go down.

2. The thing I want most for 2006 is to be a better mom.

Now, I know I am a good mom. I think it is pretty easy to be a good mom. I'm striving to be better and here is why: better is more elevated, and to me, it implies that I will constantly be improving my skills and my relationships with my little guys. I vow to work on my patience (no eye rolling behind Chops's back when he wrecks his train tracks and demands I fix them immediately,or when Bubba's steady whine and leg cling-on tactics are going into their 11th hour). I vow to be more playful, to get on the floor more with the boys, to let them run free outside rather than have their brain's dulled by way too much television.

Now, I'm not aiming for the best or the most perfect mama. I want to work for something I know that I can do. I can be a better mama and they deserve a better mama. Hopefully, as I become better, they can do the same. (I'm referring to Bobby's charade at the park today where he took off running after a pack of wild boys on scooters and ran right for the street. I wish HE was old enough for New Year's resolutions, because he would most certainly be vowing to be a better listener to his frazzled mother.)

Check out my Mommies Magazine column coming out next week for my newest strategy...get ready, boys, for preschool to come to our house!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Kels. Nice to see your column again!
Linda