Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Cheers to a New Decade!

Here I am, stumbling out of the haze of Christmas madness and New Year's party mode. And I can't believe I'm starting a new decade in my lifetime with two healthy boys and a husband in tow. Who would have thought? While the 2000's (is that what we call them?) were dominated by my Cinderella wedding, two births stacked very close together and years of fumbling with diapers, potty training and sleepless nights, I can say that 2010 feels like the freshest start I've ever had.

Shane will start elementary school in August. My freelance career is slowly blooming and can only grow as the boys log more hours at school and me at my cluttered computer desk. No longer can I blame colicky babies and midnight feedings for my lack of pitching articles. Surely I can come up with other excuses: sports commitments, sick kids and saying yes too often to working in the classroom. But I'm determined to start this decade with a kick.

I cringe even thinking of this: at the end of this decade, my boys will be teenagers. So where will I fit in all of this morphing as they grow into adults and move toward independence away from me. So much of the last decade was defined by me meeting every need. How much longer will i get away with checking off that handy box of caregiver on those summons for jury duty?

I'm not sure what shape our lives will take on over the next ten years, but I'm thrilled to jump on the ride and I can't wait to post updates here...hopefully more regularly than I have been lately. My excuses are running out!

So I hope everyone enters this new decade with inner peace, health and enthusiasm of what is to come. I know my family will!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this blog post. Your words are refreshing and energizing. I'm excited for this new decade and the opportunities it will bring you. Keep posting!

Kelly Pollard said...

Thanks Erica, I will!