Monday, April 27, 2009

Bloody Noses

I am endlessly blessed with two healthy, strong, often stubborn sons. Sure, we have issue around bad boy behavior and general terrorizing, but physically, the boys are perfection. Except for this lovely trait they both seem to have inherited from their father: recurring nose bleeds. They started when the boys were toddlers and the bleeds flair up during the height of allergy season and in the dry heat of summer. So, yes, like right now when the winds stir up the pollen and the jumping and dropping temperatures tweak all of our bodies.

Last week, Bobby had nine nosebleeds in a five day period. Yes, nine bleeds. This included one every night without fail at bedtime, a couple on the playground and some in the morning. Ironically I had just spoken with the boys' pediatrician about Shane's recurring nosebleeds at his well-check, so I was reminded of the best way to stop the bleeds, when to be concerned, etc. By Friday, I was pretty concerned and took Bobby in. This doctor blamed it on allergies and a scab in his nostril that refused to heal and prescribed a whole arsenal of remedies I'd never thought of: swiping Vaseline in his nostrils several times a day, saline spray two times a day, allergy meds if they seem to help and the big guns: qtips saturated in silver nitrate to stop the bad bleeds.

So far, so good. She also ordered a blood test, just to rule out any clotting disorder. But I believe his clotting is just fine, as evidence to how quickly we can usually stop the bleeding. He hasn't had a bloody nose since that doctor visit on Friday.

Shane, however, seems to have taken the bloody baton and has had two bloody noses: one in the middle of the night, another this morning. Never a dull moment with these guys. Now if I can only remember to keep my car and purse stocked with baby wipes and tissue!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Oh Kelly! I'm glad the doctor is running blood tests just to put YOUR mind at ease!

I didn't know allergies could cause that sort of havoc! I guess runny noses, itchy eyes, difficulty breathing, and sneezing weren't enough, huh? From what I understand, for those with allergies, this is one of the most difficult places to live. Welcome to the Valley!