Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween and Birthdays and Sugar, Oh My!

I think we have survived the chaos that is Halloween. This used to be my favorite holiday. Who doesn't love scheming to dress up as someone else for a day? I admit my admiration for the holiday of ghouls has dwindled as I have grown into my role as a mom. Quite simply, Halloween equals an overload of candy. We're talking bucketfulls of the stuff of every type. Chocolates and taffy and lollipops and candy corn...

I allow the boys to indulge in a few pieces, then the fallout is a hyper, screeching, tantrum-fueled monstrous duo for the next hour or two. Not to mention the temptations around my house are too much and end up straight on my thighs. Nevermind that candy can be used as bribery against my little sugar demons. Even if I can convince them to clean up the hurricane of trucks and train tracks for a handful of Reeses, I still end up suffering through havoc as a result of their sugar buzzes.

Of course their costumes were adorable; Shane the cuddly Scooby Doo of his latest obsession (costume borrowed) and Bobby a creepy alien from the cheap Walmart rack. Score! I spent more money on my husband and myself this Halloween for costumes (policeman and convict). After visits to two pumpkin farms, one corn maze, a downtown trick or treat, two adult costume parties and a stint of trick or treating in our neighborhood last night, my sigh of relief echoes throughout the valley.

Too bad Shane's birthday party is less than two days away. I was so wrapped up in Halloween that I neglected the weeks-ahead party planning frenzy, but maybe that's a good thing. As of today, the monster truck jump house is reserved, the deli tray ordered, and the pressure is on for me to whip up another masterful cake creation. Hopefully this one won't end up drowned in my tears like Shane's first birthday party....

To go along with the Scooby Doo theme, I'll be attempting a Mystery Machine cake. I found several versions on the internet. I think I might be able to pull it off. As long as I don't have to clean the house, take care of the kids, set out party foods, weave streamers throughout the house and blow up three dozen balloons. It's a tall order, so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Good luck with that party, Kelly! I'm sure you can find someone else to take care of all the other chores while you concentrate on making cake! teehee...

My daughter has the 'switch-witch' come and replace all the candy with a present or two. Seems to work like a charm--no more sugar highs

-- and the toy fairy visits too -- grabbing and nabbing toys that weren't put away!