Friday, November 16, 2007

Endless Christmas Wish List

I made the mistake of telling Bobby that Christmas was coming soon. As if he wouldn't figure this one out, considering Costco had their Christmas decorations on display in September. Bobby was feeling left out after his little bro's birthday and wanting it to be his birthday. I told him Christmas would come way before April, so if he saw a toy he wanted, to add it to his Christmas list.



Big mistake.



Picture one of those neverending scrolls winding its way through the halls of my house. Picture the sad coincidence of the boys switching their favorite television channel from Nick Jr. (almost no commercials) to Cartoon Network (almost all commercials!) and you may see where I am going with this. Every friggin commercial features the latest and greatest monster truck-tool workshop-Baby Alive-Road Rippers-Princess tea set-video game-hot wheels race track-Transformers-and on and on and on.... Bobby wants it all added to the list.



I humor him most of the time. Of course he doesn't know how to write, so I'm expected to add these things to a list. But does he really want the Dora beauty shop? My husband would have a heart attack if that made its way under our tree Christmas morning. I think not. If he busts me for not adding another toy, I tell him I have my own list in my brain.



Besides the commercials, the Sunday ads are another source for the growing list, but something Bobby can take a more active role with. When we received the Toys-r-us Big Toy Book, both boys went crazy over the pages of toys that they think will all magically appear under the tree. I gave Bobby a fat marker and told him to circle everything he liked, emphasizing that Santa can only fit one big present in his sleigh and that he can ask for smaller presents from Mommy and Grammy and Grandma and Aunties.... But that some presents would be a surprise, something so cool that he didn't even know existed. He got busy for nearly a half hour (a long time for this boy to sit still) and was surprisingly selective.



Now, my husband and I must decide exactly what Santa will bring Christmas morning, something hand picked from the scroll.



And Grammy called last night to say she just got the JCPenny's Christmas catalog in the mail. The boys are going over there today to add to the list...



Maybe I'll circle some things for myself too.

2 comments:

One Lucky Mom said...

Glad to hear my house isn't the only one under Santa siege. The lists are long here too!

Cindy said...

I remember those lists!! Enjoy them they evaporate very fast, Kelly!

My son's annual Santa list was always the longest, the girls were a little more realistic -- his lists gave new meaning to 'do you think money grows on trees?'!!
~cindy