Monday, December 22, 2008

Feeling Grinch-y

Oh, woe is my parenting life these past weeks. I'm talking about wound up boys with stashes of holiday candies and cookies, Christmas cards that I'm studiously avoiding, Santa visits at the mall that just won't happen this year, and unfinished shopping while time swirls away from me.

My one salvation this past week--books. Never mind how exhausted I was yesterday, recovering from a late night holiday party Saturday night. I was up until after midnight completely absorbed in an awesome book I recommend to any woman--The Friday Night Knitting Club. How nice was it to lose my own identity and get sucked in to the dramas and triumphs of these women? I read while my husband slept through boring television shows and my boys terrorized the house with their army of plastic trucks. I read while bathing the monster twins and after I collapsed into bed with all intentions of falling asleep to face today.

But then I couldn't put the book down. There is something to be said about books like this one and another phenomenal book, The Wednesday Sisters, that follows a group narrative. I love that switch of viewpoints, how some key scenes are played out from different perspectives. That is the book I would love to write. I'm sure any aspiring writer would like to craft that compelling of a story.

So, Grinch, I still feel...except for those stolen hours when I allowed myself a guilt-free escape from the holidays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure nailed this one. Books offer great escape.

I'm so glad you mentioned THE WEDNESDAY SISTERS. Great minds think alike. I loved it too. Such diverse women bonding over writing, stories, and more.

I will be running my interview with the author, Meg Waite Clayton in the Winter Issue (January-March) of Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com.

Thanks for sharing this.

Lynn

Cindy said...

I loved the Wednesday Sisters. Oh such a fun read! I do want to read Friday Night Knitting Club. I acatually bought two copies because I couldn't find the original...

Most of all I love being transported to another world--usually coming back grateful and appreciative to be in my own!