Friday, October 03, 2008

Why I Didn't Write

The ants overtaking the kitchen pantry and waging ant wars inside the dishwasher...

The new routine on the road between schools...

CWC newsletter deadline looming...

Parenting article deadline come and gone...but I made it

The new Wii headache, that is to say, my sorry search for a Wii Fit for my sister's birthday. This game is proving more difficult to find than the Wii game console was last year at Christmas, but this, my friends, is material for another post.

Picking up books to read rather than working on my own (currently on my nightstand: The Historian and The Poet's Companion--both I highly recommend)

Fear of failure, more rejection...general creative doubt.

And remains of Shane's double ear infection that makes him sense the moment I sit at my computer to write and start shrieking for Mama cuddles.

So these are my excuses. I spent more time writing my excuses here than any creative writing time all week. This is troubling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your excuses. When I taught high school drama, in a previous era, I once invented the Best Excuse Contest.

Each participant had one minute to tell us why they could not do their scene, finish their character analysis, get to class on time...

I gave credit for participation and acknowledged originality, creativity, imagination, and sincerity. Problem students loved it and good students had fun trying on the imperfect student role.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to remember that occasionally it's fun to bend the rules for a day.