Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oh, The Horrors

Quite the night of frights in our household last night....

Let me explain. Other than the normal Manic Mondays, I had my niece and nephew over after school until after dinner time. Their oh so lucky parents flew home from New Orleans last night...how I wish we could have traded places.

As the kids played in the back, finished homework and watched the Disney channel, I busied myself in throwing together a kid friendly dinner (Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie anyone?) I shoved the casserole in the oven and started on chopping veggies for a quick salad.

Oh, I cringe even at the memory of this. Hold on while I pull it together here...

Okay. As I chopped away, a little friend darted across the top of my countertop and along the backsplash of the oven. Yes, a member of the mouse family that we've been waging war against the past couple weeks decided to come out and check out the dinner action. So, during this endless battle against the rodents from hell, I've realized that my fear of mice is borderline psychological phobia. What once my family, especially my husband, found endearing. Oh how funny, Kelly almost twisted her ankle when the mouse landed on her foot while taking out the garbage. Oh, chuckle chuckle, Kelly locked herself in the bathroom when the cat caught a mouse and batted it around the hallway while the kids slept unaware.... Now, it's just an annoyance. Now, it's more like, Kelly do something.

Well, my friends, I certainly cannot because the terror of these micro-monsters is really too much to take. Luckily, the very sharp knife I used to chop carrots was not in my hand at the time of my mouse trauma. I shrieked and ran down the hall. The kids came running in. I choked back the tears and took some deep yoga breaths.

And I did have my niece and nephew here to save the evening. (7th grader and sophomore). Clearly, I was worthless to this mouse escapade. But the poor baby mouse was trapped on the counter terrified and hiding behind my fruit bowl and cannister set. (Oh yuck--you better believe the disinfecting that went down later).

The kids (including my very thrilled sons who thought the baby mouse was so adorable and worthy of Pollard pet status) rigged up a box with a slice of cheese. Guiding the thing with a broom handle and trapping it with various kitchen gadgets, they somehow trapped him.

But what next? They wouldn't kill it; I wouldn't go near it. They definitely weren't keeping it no matter how freakin adorable it was to them. So, they released it on the fenceline. Yah, not the greatest solution. I'm sure he'll find his way back to his little mouse clan causing a ruckus in my attic.

And when my darling husband wandered in from work a bit later, his response: I guess we should put out some mouse traps.

Yah think?????

And my bad karma (maybe) for forcing the kids to let the mouse out near the neighbors house....

Shane broke the window in my office less than an our later with one firm swing of his plastic pumpkin.

For the record:

-this is the second major mouse incident this month, not counting the nightly rustling that tortures me while trying to read a book
-this is the second window Shane has broken this year--and lucky (?) us, at least it was the same window.

2 comments:

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Oh, I have done the mouse thing, and it is horrid! So glad you all came out in once piece (except that pesky window...).

I'd like to invite you to a party I am having at my blog on October 29. Here's a link with more info:

http://aknickerson.blogspot.com/2008/10/blogapalooza-october-29.html

I hope to see you there -- no mice allowed, though! :)
Angela

Cindy said...

Shane's going to be a great pitcher someday:)

Mice. ...ewe. When I lived in Moraga field mice from the hill behind our house used to find their way into our garage and kitchen cabinets and terrify me. I hated it, the kids couldn't have been happier, and my now former husband, who grew up on a farm, was right at home ready to behead them. ick!