Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bisquick Adventures, Part 1


I really wasn't joking about my new cooking adventure. Chatting with a (kid-free) woman in my tennis class last week, she told me she had baked a pecan pie. My mouth watered, eyes blazed with jealousy. I used to be her before the boys came into my world. How I loved perfecting the homemade pie crust, sending the screw-ups to Robbie's work to be devoured by his co-workers.

As each boy tumbled into the world, there was less room for the time spent flinging flour across the kitchen counter. Sure, I have my yearly attempt to create an awesome birthday cake, that normally results in a chaotic rendition of the boys' latest obsessions, be it trains or Scooby Doo. But baking for no occasion at all--not happening so much.

Last week I poked around the pantry to come up with something that would pass as a dinner for the family. I found the Bisquik and immediately remembered going to an aunt's house for the night and waking up to her rolling out homemade biscuits which she baked then set out with a flourish along with her own canned jams. How hard could it be?

It turns out, not so hard after all! It really is 'quik' to throw together the three ingredients. Kneading and rolling it out so much easier than the tempermental pie crusts of my past. The only problem being that I rolled out the dough a bit too thin, resulting in most of the finished products resembling hockey pucks or sugar cookies.

And how did the family react to my breakfast for dinner?

Bobby gobbled down three biscuits layered with butter, jam and honey. Shane insisted he only wanted peanut butter on a spoon for dinner and humored me briefly when I snapped shots of him preparing to take a bite. He never even tasted it.

So a mixed review. The boys still have yet to sample the bisquik chicken fingers, strawberry shortcakes and waffles. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Momma Kate said...

You are crazy!!! I love you that way... please don't forget about my favorite bisquick recipe:

Baked Taco Sandwich
Makes 4 servings

1 pound ground beef
1 envelope (1 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning mix
1 cup Original Bisquick®
1/3 cup cold water
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
Sour cream, if desired
Shredded lettuce, if desired Chopped tomatoes, if desired
Instructions
Heat oven to 450°. Grease square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Cook beef and taco seasoning mix as directed on envelope of seasoning mix. Mix Bisquick and cold water until soft dough forms; spread in pan. Spread beef mixture over dough. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with remaining ingredients.

Kelly Pollard said...

thanks kate! that sounds yummy. hopefully it turns out better than the 'bisquick banana muffins' recipe I found in my Magic Bullet recipe book. Scary, scary....