Thursday, August 04, 2005

Mushy Mommy Brain

It seems that in virtually every parenting magazine I pick up these days, there is yet another article on ‘mommy brain’. You know, the general idea that somehow the act of reproducing and then living day in and day out as a mama zaps brain cells, any memory function, and the most basic form of common sense. A book was recently published with the latest studies of hormone levels, brain testing, and other scary thoughts. They all generally conclude that indeed, mommy brain is not a myth, but something no woman can escape.

Now, the first years of motherhood . . . fine. The extreme sleep deprivation, surging hormones, demands of nursing, of pressures to raise your baby a certain way, get your body back, maintain a welcoming home, all while trying to keep another being alive is enough to make any person a tad forgetful. I admit I’ve had my moments. Putting a box of cereal in the fridge and the milk in the pantry. Preparing an elaborate slow cooker dish then neglecting to turn the cooker on. Running my husband’s cell phone through the washer and the dryer. I am in the throes of the dreaded mommy brain syndrome.

Then the adventures in toddlerhood: the potty training, the big move out of the crib, the every day psychological warfare your pudgy, wild-eyed toddler wages against you. I even buy that.

But what about later on, when the kids are mercifully in school? The most recent article I read basically says mommy brain never really is cured. The stress, the extreme multitasking maneuvers, the parade of school lunches, permission slips, and slumber parties. Did the very moment I conceived my son doom me to a lifetime of brain mush with only fleeting moments of sanity and intelligence?

This is where the UC Santa Cruz feminist in me must chime in, if only in my head. Is mommy brain or the myth of it the reason for the dreaded glass ceiling that hangs over all of our ambitions, career goals and dreams? Maybe the glass ceiling isn’t some supreme conspiracy to keep women in the kitchen with the kids instead of as functioning workers in the free world. Or maybe the mommy brain ‘myth’ was created to justify the whole existence of the glass ceiling. Since no company can predict which of their aspiring women will procreate, they hold them all down, and move the men right up the promotional ladder. (I admit I exaggerate a tad.) Is this why we won’t have a woman president any time soon? If she is a mother, she has too much emotional baggage and her mind is dulled by the constant worrying, multitasking, and hormone fluctuations. If she isn’t a mother, well then, she is surely suspect and wouldn’t have a fighting chance anyway in an election.

What about the upside of mommy brain? Not the dying brain cells, lack of memory and good sense, but the incredible amount of patience and love we gain. The amazing talents of being able to break up sibling wrestling matches, while rescheduling a doctor visit, while attacking a mountain of laundry, and watching the morning news.

I really don’t know where I am going with this or what I should conclude. In a lot of ways, the whole concept of mommy brain pisses me off. (Or perhaps I just have a fresh batch of hormones circulating.) On the other hand, mommy brain lends itself well as a nice scapegoat.

"Sorry honey, I simply don’t understand how I managed to wash your cell phone. It must be that darn mommy brain at it again."






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kels! Awesome writing as usual ! I took off a year when you were born--had a SEVERE case of Mommy Brain. I would be dancing around the living room buzzing like a bee
while we watched Miss Nancy on Romper Room, who was also buzzing like a bee. Then I would think - I know I have a college degree, but
has my life evolved into this? Then
I would look at you and realize what a MAGICAL TIME it was in my life!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the
memories !! I'll "BUZZ OFF" now.
Love --- MOM

Patti said...

Mommy Brain goes in all directions. I can forget to charge my PDA, which hasn't been backed up in like forEVA, and still able to recall EVERY SINGLE FAMILY APPOINTMENT for the next THREE MONTHS! I even checked to make sure I had the times right, and I did.

Nice installment, Kelly, and I'm looking forward to next week.

Norman said...

Mommy brain. I've lived through it three times and you're right. It never fully goes away. Your cell-phone washing comment reminded me of the time (last month) that I washed my husband's jump drive. He still glares at me when he walks by the washer.

Hey - I like your blog. New like mine! Think I'll link it to mine, but I don't know what good that'll do since I have virtually no traffic. I don't think I've figured this blogging thing out yet... LOL. Oh well...

Norman

Anonymous said...

You're right on with your commentary-- Check this out,,,Vist this Free Software Site!

Anonymous said...

Mushy Mommy Brain…

Well done, Kelly. Can you oblige your ol’ Auntie to wax philosophical that your freedom to express the reality of Mushy Mommy Brain is the beauty of what the Women’s Liberation Movement of the 70’s did for women. I think the ‘50’s mothers knew something was missing in their lives, but didn’t get to openly express it until the WLM movement made it “ok” for women to recognize openly that motherhood was darn right mind-numbing. WLM finally gave us the choice to decide what we want to do with our lives. But conversely, WLM cheated womankind with the idea that you can have it all – career, children and a happy marriage! Anyone want to buy a Mega Lotto ticket?

As for the glass ceiling, I think we women are our own worst enemies. I just attended a party this weekend with a lot of young (20-30’s) stay-at-home moms in attendance. I loved talking to them and hearing their perspective of women. A few of them had come from working environments where they had women managers. Sadly, they compartmentalized these women as good or bad managers based on whether or not they have been mothers or not. I did my best to try and open their eyes to the fallacy of their thinking, but to no avail.

Keep up your writing with the blog, Kelly. I know that writing is something you’ve always wanted to do and by keeping a personal interest alive, you have the roadmap to navigate the crazy profession of wife & mother.

Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Kelly -
your mom gave me the address to your site - I've read both your entries and I'm loving it! It's great to know what's going on in your life. I plan on reading once a week - so keep the writing coming!
Talk to you soon - cousin erica

S A J Shirazi said...

I never knew some of this. Nice.