Wednesday, February 11, 2009

He Giggles in his Sleep



Shane's turn....

I feel like the kid is always shortchanged when I'm sharing silly stories about the boys. Bobby's precociousness and overgrown self esteem provides pages of funny material for my writing. Then poor Shane is left in the background. Maybe it's because Shane is more cautious, more affectionate and cuddly...how much can you rave on about that, you know?

Well, not today.

Shane has taken up the unfortunate habit again of crawling into bed with us before the sun comes up. I admit I'm horribly out of practice from those toddler daze when I marched him back to his own bed with his firm hand. He's just so darn cuddly and I generally enjoy it, as long as Robbie is already out of bed for work.

So as the gloomy day began this morning and I snuggled into his lanky body, just on the edge of wakefulness, Shane startled me awake by an attack of full blown giggles. That's not unusual, especially if Bobby has snuck into the bed as well and they are wide awake and telling gross, little boy jokes to each other as I will them to stay in bed a few more minutes. But this morning, it was just Shane and me (and the dog, of course), and the giggles were followed by a drawn out, sleep-sigh. Light snoring. The kid was dead asleep. So I watched him for awhile and his sweet little mouth, turned up in a smile, allowed a few more guffaws.

What a way to start my rainy morning of rushing two kids to two different schools before 8:30.

When I asked him what he had been dreaming about, I didn't exactly get the adorable response to put the finishing touches on my blog. He claims he was dreaming about poop and hot dogs.

Hey, he's still a gross boy and all that...

4 comments:

Cindy said...

hysterical, Kelly. I guess that's why the look so darn cute when they're asleep--once they open their mouths, all bets are off. Great story. I know what you mean abotu the quiet one not getting the same attention -- it is true, the squeaky one gets the oil! But little Shane is so adorable, of course so is Bobby.....

Robyn said...

Just discovered your articles in Bay Area Kids magazine and thought I'd check out your blog. As another Bay Area mom of a son, I like reading about your adventures.

Kelly Pollard said...

Thank you Cindy and Robyn!

Anonymous said...

There's something very sweet and genuine about this. I'm glad Shane got his turn. This blog is a wonderful legacy for your boys and perhaps for the women who one day ask what they were like as little boys.

B. Lynn Goodwin
www.writeradvice.com